Water, heat, gas, electricity


The Residential Tenancies Act (RTA) is the law that applies to rental housing in Ontario. The RTA sets out the rights and responsibilities of landlords and people who rent where they live. The Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB) is a government organization that enforces the RTA.

  • You have the right to an adequate supply of vital services such as heat, hydro and water.
  • Call the Ministry of Housing Investigation and Enforcement Unit if a vital service is cut off.
  • You have the right to ask for a rent reduction or refund if a vital service was cut off.
  • You have the right to know if rent includes services necessary to survive such as heat, hydro and water.
  • If your rental agreement says that you must arrange for the supply of electricity, fuel or gas, your landlord cannot interfere with these services.
  • You have the right to refuse to take on direct responsibility to pay for electricity.
  • Your landlord cannot transfer electricity bills to your name without your consent.
  • You have the right to a fair deal if you sign an electricity or natural gas contract with a door-to-door sales agent.Click here to learn more.

Learn more

  1. Decide if your problem relates to the interruption of vital services.
  2. Read Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) to learn more about your rights and the law.
  3. Follow the Steps for instructions on starting a legal process to solve your problem.
  4. Review the Resources to find new and in-depth legal information about your problem.
  5. See the Links for news and other helpful websites.

Back to Top

DisclaimerLast updated 07/30/2009