Mobile homes and land lease communities


The Residential Tenancies Act (RTA) is the law that applies to rental housing in Ontario. Most of the general rules of the RTA for rental homes also apply to mobile home parks and land lease communities, but there are some special rules that only apply to tenants in mobile home parks and land lease communities.

  • If you are a tenant in a mobile home park or land lease community, you must receive a copy of the community rules and be notified of any changes.
  • Your landlord must remove garbage, look after roads and maintain shared spaces, services and equipment. If you rent your mobile home from the landlord, the landlord is also responsible for maintaining and keeping your home in good repair. If you own your home but rent the land from the landlord, you are responsible for maintaining your own home.
  • Your landlord may charge extra for some services, such as water testing or moving a trailer.
  • Your landlord may set reasonable standards for mobile home equipment, but you cannot be forced to purchase goods or services directly from your landlord.
  • Your landlord has the right to apply to end a tenancy for the site, for special reasons, even if you own your mobile home. In some cases, you may have the right to longer notice periods and special payments.
  • If you own your mobile home but rent land, you are allowed to sell or sublet your property to another tenant, but special rules will apply.
  • If you sell your mobile home, you may use your landlord as your agent. Your landlord may have a right of first refusal.
  • If you sell your mobile home, you may assign your land lease to the new owner, and your landlord must apply to the LTB to refuse the assignment.
  • If you own your mobile home, you are responsible for paying property taxes. Taxes may be included in your rent or you may have to pay them directly. If your landlord pays taxes for you, usually you must repay him/her once he/she shows you the tax assessment.
  • You have the right to file an application against your landlord if you think you have been overcharged for taxes.
  • The RTA does not apply to all renters in mobile home parks and land lease communities. You can make a special application to the LTB to find out if the RTA applies to you.

Learn more

  1. Decide if your problem relates to mobile homes or land lease communities.
  2. Read Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) to learn more about your rights and the law.
  3. Follow the Steps for instructions on starting a legal process to solve your problem.
  4. Review the Resources to find new and in-depth legal information about your problem.
  5. See the Links for news and other helpful websites.

Back to Top

DisclaimerLast updated 07/30/2009