Care homes


The Residential Tenancies Act (RTA) is the law that applies to rental housing in Ontario. Most of the general rules of the RTA for rental homes also apply to care homes. Sometimes, a home or building that is described by the owner or operator as a "rest" home, a "retirement" home, a "lodging" home or a "seniors" home may also be covered by the RTA.

  • Care homes are housing complexes that provide "care services" to tenants such as: nursing care; supervised use of medications; help with feeding, bathing, dressing, personal hygiene, incontinence, and mobility; and providing help in emergencies.
  • If you live in a care home, your landlord must provide you with a written tenancy agreement that lists all the care services and meals your landlord has agreed to provide to you.
  • Your landlord must obey the same rules about rent amounts and rent increases as the rules for regular rental homes.
  • You have the right to privacy and to have any bed visit schedules set out in the rental agreement.
  • There are some special rules for ending your tenancy in a care home.
  • You have the right obtain outside care services and your landlord can't stop or interfere with outside services.
  • You have the right to a Care Home Information Package which includes the following information:
    • A list of all provided care services with prices for all services, including meal packages. This must include the total cost for housing and care services.
    • The amount of staff help provided, and the qualifications of the staff.
    • Whether an emergency response system exists, and how it works.
    • A list and fee schedule for any extra care services and meals.
    • A description of the care home's procedures for dealing with complaints.
  • Your landlord cannot raise the rent, rates for meals or rates for care services until you are provided with the Care Home Information Package.
  • You have the right to ask the LTB to lower the rent if your landlord does not provide a written agreement, or if the agreement doesn't list the all the care services.
  • Care home landlords must give 90 days' notice on a Form N3 of any fee increases for care services or meals.
  • Tenants do not have to pay the new charges if the landlord does not give proper notice.
  • Tenants can complain to the LTB if any of their rights are violated.
  • Your landlord must obey Orders issued by the LTB against him.

Learn more

  1. Decide if your problem relates to a care home.
  2. Read Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) to learn more about your rights and the law.
  3. Follow the Steps for instructions on starting a legal process to solve your problem.
  4. Review the Resources to find new and in-depth legal information about your problem.
  5. See the Links for news and other helpful websites.

Back to Top

DisclaimerLast updated 07/30/2009